Museums & Gallery
Natural and architectural landmarks
The display presents in chronological order the town’s history from its founding in the 6th c. BC until its liberation from Romanian rule in 1940. The display includes collections of archaeological finds.
Opening hours for visitors:
Monday – Saturday 09:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 17:00
Entrance for persons from 7 to 18 years, students and pensioners – 1.00 lev;
Entrance for persons older than 18 – 5.00 leva;
Lecture – 5.00 leva (thematic), 2.00 leva (general)
Balchik 9600, 2 “Dimitar Zhelev” str. Tel.: 0879 998 940 – Director
The house is located next to the building of the History Museum. It is situated in a restored Renaissance house from the 1860s, owned by a corn-merchant from Balchik. Here can be seen exhibits connected to the everyday life and the livelihood of Balchik’s people, as well as authentic artifacts, tools, clothing and ornaments used and worn by the local population.
Balchik, 9600, “Dimitar Zhelev” Str., Tel .: 0579/7 21 77
Balchik’s Art Gallery is located in the former high school which was reconstructed. The total exhibition area is 800 square meters. Тhere are exhibition halls for temporary and visiting exhibitions and a foreign art hall, permanent museum exhibition. Of interest is the group of 11 Romanian artists who painted Balchik during the occupation of Southern Dobrudzha.
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 09: 00-12: 00, 13: 00-16: 00
Balchik, 4 Otets Paisiy Str., Mobile: 087 999 89 46, Tel .: 0579/7 21 77
Oldest school in the area
The Revival Period Complex is one of the most visited museums in the city. It includes the “Saint Nicholas” church, built in 1865-1866, which today is open again and the fully reconstructed old mutual instruction school that existed at this place from the mid-19th to early 20th century.There you can see a reconstruction of a classroom, a teacher’s room and the display “Balchik during the National Revival”.
Balchik, 3 Vazrazhdane Str., Tel .: 0579/7 21 77, 7 24 41
The Old Mill
The big mill in Balchik was built by the Anonymous industrial company in 1909. Its design and construction were assigned to a German company which built in Balchik the best equipped mill in the Balkans. for just a year. Through the project “Improving tourist attractions and the related infrastructure in Balchik Municipality” the building was reconstructed and its transformed into a tourist and cultural-information center with exhibition section and on the facade of the Cultural Center “Melnicata” are broadcast ten 3D short advertising films, presenting the cultural heritage of the region. The screenings are every night during the three summer months starting at 22.00.
The Great Mother Goddess Cybele
So far it is the only discovered temple of the Great Mother Goddess Cybele in the eastern part of the Balkan Peninsula and the best preserved Hellenistic temple in Bulgaria.
Tel.: +359 / 879/99 89 40
Antiquity and Medieval Fortress
In the middle of the 6th c. AD a powerful earthquake befell the city and was followed by a terrific flooding from the sea along the entire coast. As a result, landslides occurred and the polis was destroyed to the ground. The surviving population of the ancient city moved to the new fort, whose construction began at the end of the 5th c. and the beginning of the 6th. It is situated on the plain’s plateau, northwest of the center of Balchik, about 1 km from the beach. It occupies the angle of the coastal plateau which is almost 220 m high. The area of the fortress is about 150 decares, which is why it has not yet been fully studied.
Kv. “Horizont”, Hadji Dimitar Street, Balchik, all year round. tel. 0579/7 10 87
The Tekke ``Ak Yazili Baba - St Atanas``
The most famous Muslim and Christian holy place” in the Bulgarian lands in the past, is located near the village of Obrochishte. The place became sacred to two religions and the fact that the local population considered the tekke a sanctuary made possible its worship by various ethno-confessional groups: Muslims (Sunni or Shia) and Christians.
all year round, a visit on 2nd of May is recommended;
village of Obrochistre, Balchik Municipality,
tel.: 057 972 177
'The Old Dobrich' Museum
Including 32 craft workshops that present home crafts specific to the Dobrudzha region (weaving, embroidery, the making of jewelry from beads, bakery), as well as crafts providing basic tools and instruments (pottery, blacksmithing, wood carving, cutlery, saddlery, leather-working, fur-dressing, millinery , etc.). In the complex you can also see restored an old inn, a tavern and a clock tower; Tekke Mosque and the typical Dobrich white-stone fountain.
18 “Konstantin Stoilov” str., Dobrich; tel.: 058 602 642. The access to the site is free.